[ccp4bb]: Re: Mosflm on OSX and the pain of the Mac OS 10.2.x downgrade

Hi Chris:

I am certainly no expert, but I believe it's actually a CCP4 non-error.

To make matters worse, had you forgot to source your new ccp4.setup file, but instead used your previous one from the compilation under 10.1.x, you would NOT get this message because it would be linking to the old, no longer fully functional, libraries. But the build would have major problems if it didn't fail outright.

There are several major bugs in 10.2. The biggest cockroach I have come across so far is drag and drop freezing up completely for people, even surviving a reinstall of the operating system. It is complete paralysis. This happened to me once and it went away on a reboot, but it sounds pretty bad.

Have a look at this litany of sob-stories: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?50@36.GSbtacI7eLG.2@.3bbabe0a

I'd have to say at this point I would recommend to other people not to "upgrade" to 10.2 or 10.2.1 until they manage to fix the worst bugs.

Apple is being pretty idiotic about this and is pretending there is no problem. OS X, v. 10.1.5 functioned very well, but they got greedy and released this half-baked hyped-up "upgrade" that they clearly didn't bother to beta-test to any significant degree. It breaks loads of applications like end-note, and they are just going to drive 3rd party application vendors away from the platform if they keep pulling the rug out from under them like this.

Well good luck with it. You can always go back to 10.1.5 if things get too ugly.

Bill