Re: [ccp4bb]: physical meanings of positive and negative peaks in DANO Fourier map

F(+) > F(-) because F"(+) and F"(-) are both always 90 degrees in front
of the scattered wave (this is absorption, which breaks the Friedel
symmetry; the other way around violates conservation of energy).  The
negative peaks presumably are noise.  For centrosymmetric reflections
these should be zero.  I find it easiest to think of this in terms of
refractive index.

n = 1 - (alpha) - i(beta)

(alpha) = real component of the correction for light traveling through
a refracting (optically dense) medium = dispersion =  (constant) * F'
(beta) = imm. component of the correction  = absorption = (constant) *
F"

Changing the sign would make (beta) correspond to emission, which would
mean creation of light energy, so it is unphysical.

On Saturday, November 2, 2002, at 01:41 PM, Q. Steven Xu wrote:

> I have two questions regarding the DANO fourier map.
>
> 1) What's the difference between the maps calculated with
> coeff. F(+)-F(-) and with coeff. F(-)-F(+)? the postive and
> negtive peaks would be reversed?
>
> 2) how to explain the positive and negative peaks in such a
> map? for instance, if I am searching a sulfur atom which produces the
> anomalous signal, I guess I need to search both the positive and
> negative
> peaks, is that right?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> regards,
> Q. Steven Xu

William G. Scott

Associate Professor
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
Sinsheimer Laboratories
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA