RE: [ccp4bb]: [Fwd: pdb-l: Bad geometry] - for us to discuss too..

Hi

Such tools are already available - people just have to use them.
For refmac there's the Sketcher and automatic topology generation
For CNS there's
- the HICup site by Gerard Kleywegt
  http://xray.bmc.uu.se/hicup/welcome.html
- the PRODRG server
  http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/prodrg  (also does SHELX topologies)

In addition, there is a very powerful initiative at the EBI to generate
standard topologies for and check the geometry of small molecules in the
PDB - http://www.ebi.ac.uk/msd/index.html and links therein.

In my opinion it is impossible to get C-C distances of 2 Angstrom or
non-planar aromatic rings (there many of those in the PDB) with any of
these tool.

cheers

Daan

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Otterbein, Ludovic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a very interesting point that you have raised. From my point of view
> geometry ligand definition problems could probably be solved if we could
> have some people to develop powerful and efficient tools to create small
> molecule dictionaries.
>
> Cheers
>

> Ludovic
>

> Ludovic Otterbein, PhD
> AstraZeneca, Alderley Park
> Macclesfield, UK, SK10 4TG
> ' : + 00 44 1 625 51 0848

Dr. Daan van Aalten                    Wellcome Trust CDA Fellow
Wellcome Trust Biocentre, Dow Street   TEL: ++ 44 1382 344979
Div. of Biol.Chem. & Mol.Microbiology  FAX: ++ 44 1382 345764
School of Life Sciences                E-mail: dava@davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk
Univ. of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK    WWW: http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk

        O     C           O     C         Visit the PRODRG server to take
        "     |           "     |         the stress out of your topologies!
  N--c--C--N--C--C--N--C--C--N--C--C--O
     |           "     |           "      http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/
     C-C-O       O   C-C-C         O             programs/prodrg/prodrg.html
       "