[ccp4bb]: How to deal with sidechainatoms with low electron density?

Dear all,

I was wondering what the most acceptable way to deal with (disordered) sidechains/residues (e.g. sidechains of Arginines and Lysines) with very low or no electron density is? Especially with respect to submission of coordinates to the pdb-data bank.

My initial approach was to set the occupancies of the atoms to 0 and then refine in Refmac. However I encountered that the geometry (bond lenghts and angles) gets distorted between the atoms with normal occupancy and the ones with zero occupancy. The other option to refine the residues as alanines does not seem a very good idea to me, since it does not account for something which is there, but strongly disordered. For me the most ideal way to deal with them is to fix the B-factor to a very high value and then refine with Refmac.

What is the general opinion about this matter?

I would be grateful for any comments.

Thank you,

Florian

Florian Schmitzberger