Re: [ccp4bb]: structure factors etc

On Sunday 24 November 2002 16:46, William Scott wrote:

> >  if crystallographers would deposit structure factors,
> > PPS: Advertisement: Read 'Homo Crystallographicus' in Structure.
>
> It always struck me as odd that one of the authors of this and other
> papers that argues so eloquently for making structure factors available
> to all doesn't do the same with source code.

I am sure this was not addressed to me but to the scientist previously known
as CD, currently as DVD and surely in the near future as mp3 or mpeg2 ...?

..... however, I shamelessly accept that I do believe that the structure factors
must be made available and I also don't want to distribute the source code
for programs I write. Actually I fail to see the connection between the two.

The structure factors are essential to let other people judge for themselves
the result you obtained.

The source code is (essentially) useless for judging the result you or anybody
else obtained.

	Tassos

PS Distributing code is good in an ideal world but there are often other
considerations which I am sure people can guess - the reasons are similar to
the ones that lead people not to publish in the web their complete 600 page
lab-book about hot-hot-protein-X that was published in Nature last week.