Re: [ccp4bb]: Off topic: enzyme active sites

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 05:03  AM, Aaron Oakley wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I am looking for examples of enzymes that can catalyse UNRELATED
> reactions (unique chemical reactions) using a SINGLE active site, and
> where the catalytic residues are the SAME for both reactions (but
> utilized differently). This does not include, for example,
> esterase/peptideses (where the mechanisms are essentially the same),
> or proteins with different activities located in different active
> sites on the same polypeptide chain.

One example is Leukotriene A4 Hydrolase. It has both a tripeptidase and
epoxide hydrolase activity, both involving a catalytic Zinc ion and
some associated machinery for activating the incident water molecule.

Best Regards,

Ian Ollmann, Ph.D.
Vector and Numerics Group
Software Division