[ccp4bb]: Linking CCP4 against Altivec BLAS and LAPACK

Dear all

Mac OS X 10.2 ships with vectorised BLAS, LAPACK and FFTW libraries. I
always linked against those BLAS and LAPACK libraries without problems,
using the instructions on the following website:
http://developer.apple.com/hardware/ve/index.html

I am using Mac OS X 10.2.3 and the latest apple developer tools for
10.2.

Adding the following section to the blas/lapack configuration part in
the configure script does the job (the complete configure script is
available upon request - ccp4bb refuses to accept attachments of 23 kb
size)

<        Darwin)
<          XLAPACK_LIB="-framework vecLib"
<          LAPACKLIB="vecLib"
<          noblas=yes
<          trylapack=
<          tryblas=
<           ;;

I have no idea about performance of differences of CCP4 using Netlib
BLAS/LAPACK and those provided by apple:
1) I never used the Netlib BLAS/LAPACK
2) I do not know, which CCP4 programs really use LAPACK/BLAS

FFTW:
As I understand, CCP4 uses its own FFT routines. The APPLE libraries
are compatible with fftw (http://www.fftw.org), which is a different
implementation.

Cheers,
Markus