Re: [ccp4bb]: Some naive questions about AltiVec

I'd like to share the following information that I was forwarded by a
contact at Apple.  It doesn't address the problems people have
mentioned here regarding the Absoft and VAST compilers/optimizers,
but the link to CHUD tools (http://developer.apple.com/hardware/ve)
for assessing performance may be helpful to some.

**********

Apple provides profiling tools and information on how to optimize for
AltiVec.    Check out, developer.apple.com/hardware/ve.  Particularly check
out the CHUD tools that we provide.  In addition we have a profiler for
OpenGL optimization.  Check out the OpenGL pages.   NAG fortran compilers
are now available for Mac OS X as are optimizers like VAST-F
http://www.psrv.com/altivecf.html.  Absoft's Fortran compiler also provides
optimization assistance.

Regards,

Song

--

Dr. Song Tan
Assistant Professor in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology