[ccp4bb]: Thanks for Altivec feedback

Hi,

Thanks to Bill, James, Ian and others who replied to my naive questions.
I agree with almost everything that was said (comes from years of living
in Sweden, you know...) For the time being we should probably be happy
that MacOS X is so excellent to work with and that G4 PowerBooks are so
portable, and not complaining about the speed for CPU-intensive
crystallography applications, of which there are not, after all, that
many. (Most CCP4 jobs are over in a matter of seconds to minutes and I
have only experienced SHELXD and CNS as particularly slow on G4.) Maybe
wireless networking will eliminate the need for portable CPUs at
breakneck speeds, by allowing us access everywhere to our home (PC,
Linux!) servers.

On the other hand, it was nice to get some (unofficial) feedback from
Apple. (Maybe this discussion should now go over to the developer BB but
I don't subscribe to it.) I had a nose around on their Web pages and
noted that FFT, BLAS and LAPACK are all available in Altivec-optimised
versions. Now if we could get all of those incorporated into CCP4 we
would have solved 90% of the problem, n'est-ce pas?

Having said that, I feel I'm unable to volunteer. Programming skills
much too rusty...

Cheers
Derek

P.S. I'm curious to know who Maximus Drusus Metellus is. It may be that
he really is an old-timer, over 1600 years old in fact...