[ccp4bb]: REFMAC5 non-default histidine protonation

Dear CCP4 users,

I've got a histidine that makes a hydrogen bond between its side chain ND1 to
a main chain N-H. I usually refine proteins in REFMAC5 with calculated
hydrogens (MAKE HYDR YES) and want to keep this so. In this special case,
however, the histidine ring is rotated around its Chi2 angle partly out of
the electron density leaving positive and negative difference densities
indicating that this ring should be rotated back into its density (2 A
resolution, R below 0.2). Apparently, a steric clash between the main chain
N-H and the histidine side chain ND1-H prevents the ring from refining to its
proper position. Is there any way to tell REFMAC5 about a non-default
protonation of a residue, thus circumventing to switch off the calculation of
hydrogens?

Best regards,

Dirk.

Dirk Kostrewa