Re: [ccp4bb]: Matthews Parameter

Rufer, Arne {PRBD~Basel} wrote:

> Dear collegues,
> I'm currently dealing with a dataset for which the Cell Content Analysis tool implemented in CCP4i gives a value of 1.6. Has anybody ever encountered such a low solvent content (i.e., 24.3 %)? Is there any statitistics on this subject in the literature? Any suggestions are wellcome (I already considered crystallization of a fragment).
> Thanks,
> Arne

That is indeed a very low value. Does the crystal diffract like crazy?
If not you may have a problem. If your crystal is twinned with a near
50% twin fraction you can see extra symmetry in the diffraction pattern
that may make you believe that you have higher symmetry than is real. In
that situation Vm gets underestimated by a factor of two (assuming diad
twin symmetry). Check for twinning to see if this is your problem.

Bart

Bart Hazes (Assistant Professor)
Dept. of Medical Microbiology & Immunology
University of Alberta
1-41 Medical Sciences Building
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada, T6G 2H7