Re: [ccp4bb]: License required for deposited structures!

Good that you are starting a campaign against these unacceptable developments!

In fact, last time we were at the synchrotron, representatives of the company that you are referring to routinely made the rounds and asked us if we intended to publish the work that we are doing here, and - after answering "Yes, of course. That's what we do!" - they charged us $25 per dataset right there, and they didn't even take credit cards! The team at a neighboring beamline didn't have enough cash on hand, so they were forced to take non-approved (phase II) mind-altering drugs from that very same company! So, bring some cash on your next trip!

I have heard rumours that a US-based pharamceutical company has taken out
a patent on the method of structure determination by X-ray
crystallography. Apparently everybody who publishes work based on the
technique is required to obtain a license. The cost should be around $1000
if the structure is deposited.

I think as scientist should protest this move vigorously, and possibly get
our respective governments to protest to the US governement that such a
patent can be passed!

I am curious to know if anyone else has heard about this...

Mischa Machius, PhD
Assistant Professor
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.; Y4.330A
Dallas, TX 75390-9038; U.S.A.
Tel: +1 214 648 9760
Fax: +1 214 648 8954