Re: [ccp4bb]: b-factors, tls-refinement

Dear all,

My apologies, first, for sending the blank email by mistake.

Dirk, I have also experienced a similar behavior in the refinement of a
structure that came out of our lab recently. In our case, it was a 2.6 A
structure with the R and Rfree at 27.3 and 31.5 % respectively after CNS
refinements. The average B-factors were 65 A*2. The CNS refinements
indicated crystal anisotropy, because of which we tried REFMAC with TLS
refinement. Using TLS, the R and Rfree dropped to 25.1 and 30.2
respectively with the average B-factors increasing to 80 A*2!

At this point, to assess the validity of the B-factors, CNS refinement was
carried out on the model. The B-factors dropped to 65 A*2. Combining the
overall anisotropic scale factors with the average B-factor lead us to the
insight that the effective average B-factors are different in the three
directions (75, 75 and 47 A*2 along the x, y and z-directions
respectively). The average B-factors are complex and its
calculation/definition, I would say, is somewhat program dependent.

In your case, I am curious about the drop of 5%. During your CNS
refinements, did you have anisotropic scaling for the B-factor refinement.
Also, since you have atleast three chains in the asu, did you have NCS
restraints for B-factors that led to a lower average B-factor of 45 A*2
for all the chains?

Cheers,
Sarma

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Dirk Reinert wrote:

> hi all,
> i am trying out tls-refinement after refinement in cns remained static. (the
> statistics for the dataset i am using are excellent and the resolution limit
> is 2.1 a.) the r-factors (in cns) were about 24 (r) and 28 (rfree) and the
> b-factors for the different chains in asu were around 45. after doing
> tls-refinement in refmac5 r and rfree dropped by 5%, respectively, and the
> total bs for two of the chains are now about 80 (!). has anyone experienced
> such an increase of the b-factors or has any comments on that, as i am a bit
> worried on the correctness of what i am doing.
> thanks in advance, dirk.
>
> --
> Dirk Reinert
> Universität Freiburg (FRG)
> Institut für Organische Chemie und Biochemie
> Alberstr. 21
> D-79104 Freiburg
>
> Phone:  +49 761 2036088
> Fax:    +49 761 2036161

Ganapathy N. Sarma.
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
Oregon State University
Tel: (541)737-3196