Re: Temperature factors and Wilson Plots

Andy Gulick wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>
> Hi,
> I have just solved a structure with MAD phasing and am trying to refine
> with REFMAC
> rather than TNT (which is normally used in this lab).  The model is
> fairly consistant with related proteins (so I know there are no gross
> errors) and the data are good to 2.4 A.
> I ran the data through TRUNCATE, UNIQUE, and then began my refinement
> with REFMAC.

 I believe that average B factors given for structures are more often
too low than too high.. If the data peters out at 3A it is very
difficult to get any sensible estimate of a Wilson plot gradient, but it
is most likely that a true Av_B should be in the range 80-100, rather
than 10 as is sometimes given!

REFMAC values should reflect the gradient of the Wilson plot, and they
do seem to do so quite well in your case.

Eleanor Dodson