Re: [ccp4bb]: Cannot Compile XCCPJIFFY on Linux Redhat 6.2!!

Dear all,

Just for the record if you have problems like this (howto compile etc) its
probably best you ask CCP4 staff directly at ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk in the first
instance anyhows.

>   I have got the CCP4 4.0 suit and complie it successfully on Redhat6.2.
> But when I want to make XCCPJIFFY files of x-window application, I got
> the following compiling error :

The main ccp4 configure script should now be used in the following manner
(basic example):

configure --with-x linux

this will set up all needed compilation files and will automatically
compile the xwin stuff with the remainder of the suite. though i must
admit i havent tried it on RH6.2 but doubt its got problems (famous last
words).

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lf2c
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [xplot84driver] Error 1
>
>  I have edited the Imakefile and change the operating system to LINUX
> and I also change the line :
>
> CC=egcs to CC=gcc

isnt egcs included with RH6.2? though i do recordnise CC=egcs is now wrong
(but i was just so pleased it worked!) it should actually work.

>  I still got the error message above!! What's error means and how can
> I fix it?
>  I am not familiar with programming so I don't know how to fix the
> compiling problems!!
>  Anyway Thanks for any help^^ :)

the easiest way to get around your problem is to re run configure in $CCP4
with the option --with-x and this will automatically create the correct
make files etc (this will also update your config.status file so its
correct for any future changes you choose to make). then again in $CCP4 if
you run make it will check all libs are made, ccp4 progs are compiled, and
eventually make the xwin progs. Or alternativeley a quick fix is probably
just change the -f2c to -g2c in wichever Imakefile your hacking

regards,
Alun
Alun Ashton,      awa@ccp4.ac.uk    Tel: +44 1925 603528
CCP4,             ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk   Fax: +44 1925 603124
                  http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html
Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, UK, WA4 4AD