Re: [ccp4bb]: membrane prot x-tal problem

Dear Stephen, Songlin,
This is not specific for membrane proteins, but one thing to check
would be whether vapor diffusion is having the wrong effect.
Try sitting drops in glass wells and seal with a well-greased
cover slip either immediately after setting up (batch method)
or as soon as crystals start to form (interrupted vapor diffusion).

Continued vapor diffusion can dissolve the crystals if you are in the
salting-in region of the solubility curve, or if you have a lot of
glycerol to stabilize your protein and diffusion goes in reverse,
diluting the well solution. If you have alcohol in the drops but
not in the reservoir, or the alcohol escapes through the tape seal,
that could also be a problem.

If the crystals still dissolve when the composition of the mother
liquor is constant, and no other crystal form or phase separation
droplets form to deplete the mother liquor of protein,
I would guess the protein is being degraded.

--
Edward A. Berry, MailStop 3-250
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory