Re: [ccp4bb]: disappeared crystal...

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Subramanian Karthikeyan wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>
> Hello,
>
>   I'm sorry this is not a direct ccp4 question rather about
> crystallization. I was setting up crystallization trials using
> Ammonium sulfate screen (Hampton Research) for my protein
> (sitting drop method). After finishing the setup at room
> temperature, I sealed the plate with adhesive tape after
> (~) 15 minutes. Before putting the plates at low temp. I just
> scaned the plate under microscope. I saw big crystals in two
> wells (within 20 min). When I fixed the camera and ready to
> take a snap of the crystal I could not see anything in the same
> well, all crystal disappeared suddenly. The dish was always at
> room temperature and everthing happened within 30 to 45 minutes.
>
>   Now I have following questions.
>
>   1) Is somebody have experience like this ?

nearly everybody in the field, I guess.

>   2) I tried to set the same condition again but, I could not
>      get any crystal? any suggestions ?
>
>   3) Any literature or paper regarding this type of problem?
>
>   4) or it is just a salt crystal ? :(

most probably you crystallized ammonium sulfate.

> Any comments or suggestion are highly appreicated.
>

> Thanks
>
> karthik

> subramanian karthikeyan,      skarthik@caregroup.harvard.edu
> Floor 3
> Harvard Institutes of Medicine  http://www.bidmc.harvard.edu
> 4 Blackfan Circle
> Boston,                                Tel:- +1-617-667 0068
> MA, 02115 USA.                         Fax:- +1-617-975 5243

 Dr. Manfred Buehner             Phone:  +49-931-888-4100
 Physiologische Chemie           FAX:    +49-931-888-4150
 Theodor-Boveri-Institut fuer Biowissenschaften
 Biozentrum der Universitaet Wuerzburg
 Am Hubland,  D-97074 WUERZBURG,  Germany
 Email:  buehner@biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de