Re: [ccp4bb]: Linux tape backup

tommy wang wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>
> For all those who use Linux as a platform for structure solution, I would
> like to know what devices u people use to backup your data. I have a Seagate
> 24Gb DAT tape backup system that has device drivers written for Irix and
> Windows but not Linux, so I cannot use it for backing up my data.
>
> Thanks for any info

Tommy,

that's a standard DDS-3 tape, right? It should work well under Linux,
provided you have a SCSI PCI card and build your kernel with SCSI and
SCSI tape support. The device name is /dev/st0 for the 'rewind-on-close'
device and /dev/nst0 for the 'no-rewind-on-close' device (similar to
/dev/tape and /dev/nrtape under Irix). Look at /proc/scsi/scsi - the
device should be listed there.

Kay
--
Kay Diederichs         http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/~kay