Re: [ccp4bb]: Mail & Mime (was attachments)

 PE> As a follow-up to my previous complaints about "attachments" I've
 PE> tracked down the immediate problem but I need someone who knows
 PE> about mail to explain it.

I hope my previous article did, but the debugging was on target.

 PE> What's going on? What is "big5" & where does it come from?

It's a traditional Chinese character set `widely used in Taiwan and
Hong King' (that doesn't fit in to ISO standards).

 PE> Luddite note: Email used to be simple,

Remember the infamous EARN gateway, for instance? :-/

 PE> why has it got so complicated?

Mostly Microsoft, especially when they ignore standards and good
sense, though they're not implicated in this case.