Re: [ccp4bb]: CCP4 on RedHat 7: conclusions and recommended action

Kevin,

thanks for your summary.

In what you write there's a little (maybe totally insignificant)
confusion between minor subversions (denoted by .<number>) of the
compiler, and patch levels (denoted by -<number>).

Here's my understanding (but see e.g.
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.95/gcc-2.95.2.html) -

2.96 and 2.97 are development versions and should not be used for
production. The fact that RedHat distributes 2.96 with RH7 has been
critisized a lot. If people _do_ want to use/experiment with 2.96, they
should at least update to 2.96-69 from 2.96-54! 3.0 is scheduled for end
of Q1/2001

2.95.2 is what the GCC people recommend for production work. Anybody
have a RPM of that???

2.95.1 is what I've been using successfully for some time now. URL of
the RPM is in your summary, and in my earlier posting.

2.95 (i.e. 2.95-3, 2.95-4 and so on) is stable, but older than 2.95.1

2.91 comes in a disguise as kgcc in RH7 and is stable

Kay

--
Kay Diederichs         http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/~kay
email: Kay.Diederichs@uni-konstanz.de  Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183