Re: [ccp4bb]: Re: large Beta angle

Jeff Taylor wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>

> > Dear All,
> >
> > Denzo suggested a C2 cell with
> > a = 143 b = 63 c = 94 beta = 130.
> >
> > Did anybody else observe such a large beta angle before in a protein crystal
> > with a monoclinic cell?
> >
> > Klaus
>
> Unfortunately, I have one.  My protein crystallizes in C2 with  a=275.8,
> b=270.2, c=188.8, beta= 131.9.
>
> Good luck with yours!
>
> - JT

 C2 cells often have this crazy angle; if you do an hklview plot of the
hnl layers you can often see a more "sensible" set of reciprocal lattice
vectors, with Beta nearer 90 degrees but they will require that you use
a non-standard space group such as I2.

 ie the Beta isnt biologically relevent, but it serves to predict al
your spots

 Eleanor