Re: [ccp4bb]: dehydration of crystals

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 cdealwis@utk.edu wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with improved  resolution after dehydrating
> crystals by  transferring the crystals to high precipitant concentrations?

i and colleagues have noticed improved resolution after replacing a
fraction of the water with a cryoreagent, I assume this has the same
dehdyrating effect you may have been seeing with precipitant (after all
one person's cryo reagent is another's precipitant).  i have also noticed
in a couple cases a beneficial space group change to a smaller unit
cell.  by this i don't mean a few percent shrinkage, but a N-fold
reduction as noncrystallographic symmetry becomes crystallographic.

"Liberation from superstition is a necessary but not
 sufficient condition for science." - Carl Sagan
                        David J. Schuller
                        modern man in a post-modern world
                        MacCHESS, Cornell University
                        djs63@cornell.edu