RE: [ccp4bb]: Vibration (was re:Dehydration)

Many years ago at Imperial College we did a fairly systematic experiment on
vibration using lysozyme (hanging drops).
We placed one tray in the basement on a very solid base, one tray was placed
in an incubator, known to vibrate a little and which was often used
(frequent door opening and closing), and the third tray was placed on a
rather strongly vibrating plate hanging from a stand. The vibrations were
produced by a small motor with an acentric piece of metal attached to it.
The trays were examined at regular intervals. Crystals grew in all of them.
The basement tray gave fewer but bigger crystals, but this may have been a
small temperature effect - temperature was not controlled very well.
Crystals from all trays were nice, they diffracted to the same resolution,
with virtually identical Wilson distribution. After this experiment we
stopped worrying about vibration.

Tadeusz Skarzynski
Protein Structure Group
GlaxoSmithKline