[ccp4bb]: POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE

A post-doctoral position in structural biology is available at
Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston to study the structural basis
of polycystin function. Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease
is a relatively common genetic disorder that leads to renal failure
in adults. Two gene products (polycystin-1 and polycystin-2) that play
a critical in this disease have been characterized. We have crystallized
a key region of one of these proteins and have initiated structural
studies of this fragment in order to understand the molecular basis
of polycystin function at the atomic level. Several other functionally
interesting fragments have been cloned and expressed as well. The
successful candidate will carry out the structure analysis of the
existing crystals and also try to obtain structural and functional
data about the remaining portion of the molecules.

The project is part of a NIH-funded Program Project Grant and provides
an ideal opportunity to collaborate and work with investigators from several
disciplines at the Renal Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital.

We are looking for candidates with a solid background in molecular biology
and protein expression techniques. Familiarity with protein purification
techniques and the use of xray crystallography to determine the structure
of proteins is an advantage but not required. The position is initially
funded for three years, extensions are possible. We will only consider
candidates who are available immediately.

To apply, please send (preferably by email) a curriculum vitae including
names and contact informations of references to:

Thilo Stehle, PhD
Massachusetts General Hospital
and Harvard Medical School
Renal Unit and Laboratory of Developmental Immunology
GRJ-1402 (Jackson-14)
55 Fruit St.
Boston, Massachusetts 02114-2696
voice:  (617) 724-2890