Masking

Dear All,
	Any imaginative solutions?
We have a dimer in the asu and have good matrices to relate the monomers
(straight 180 rotn). The starting map is to say the least a little poor.

Is there a way to harness the averaging to generate a better map from
which to derive the solvent mask?

Effectively a single run of maskless averaging.

I kind of thought by using maprot (mode correlation) and mapmask that it
should draw a mask around the dimer (proper ncs) which would serve as a
solvent flattening mask. The resulting mask is dismal and the one from DM
which I assume is calculated on the unaveraged map is much better. The
underpining assumption is that the single run averaged map is a better
place to derive a solvent flattening mask from that the starting map.

(The ncs mask can be simply made by putting an atom of 40A radius at the
centroid of the heavy atom position. On our tests this is about as good
as a monomer mask)

Any comments/suggestions

best
Jim

James H. Naismith                | Research mailto:naismith@st-and.ac.uk
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences | Teaching mailto:jhn@st-and.ac.uk
BMS Laboratories                 | Office: 1334-463792 (24 hr)
The North Haugh                  | Lab   : 1334-463776
The University                   | Fax   : 1334-467229
St. Andrews                      | In UK     add  0 to start of number
Fife Scotland                    | Overseas  add 44 to start of number
U.K., KY16 9ST                   | www     http://speedy.st-and.ac.uk/