Re: Masking

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999 naismith@st-andrews.ac.uk wrote:

> Is there a way to harness the averaging to generate a better map from
> which to derive the solvent mask?
>
> Effectively a single run of maskless averaging.

there is no such thing as maskless averaging. averaging always uses a
mask, whether you specify it yourself or let some program calculate it for
you.  your idea of using a sphere around the heavy atom site sounds fine
to me.  if you are getting a glimpse of the protein|solvent division in
your best maps you might adjust the placement and radius of the sphere.
also use the overlap function in NCSMASK to see that your two spheres
don't overlap too much and wipe each other out.

     Crystals are pretty, but they just kind of sit there,
         not doing much of anything.  - Larry Wall
                        David J. Schuller
                        modern man in a post-modern world
                        University of California-Irvine
                        schuller@uci.edu