Re: Masking

> naismith@st-andrews.ac.uk wrote:
> > We have a dimer in the asu and have good matrices to relate the monomers
> > (straight 180 rotn). The starting map is to say the least a little poor.
> >
> > Is there a way to harness the averaging to generate a better map from
> > which to derive the solvent mask?
> >
> > Effectively a single run of maskless averaging.

How 'straight' is your 180 degree rotation?  Does it propogate through
the whole unit cell?

If yes...
Then you're talking about pseudo-symmetry?  I'd recommend going
back and examining your space group.  Running your whole kit 'n
kabootle in both possibilities.

If no...
ie: if the ncs doesn't propogate through the whole unit cell, and doing
an unmasked averaging, if possible, would average non-equivilent
sites...
Wouldn't want that!

Eleanor J. Dodson wrote:
>  dm will generate itts own mask if you ask it to. You must give the
> sovent content and ask for NCSMASK NMER 2 ( see "advanced keywords"

I'd recommend several different solvent contents in steps of 10%.  If
you
have poor phases and your real solvent content is low, the masks will
overlap with ones in the next asu over and the whole thing will become
one huge channel that goes all the way though your crystal.  You can
look
at  your masks in Turbo or O to make sure they are actually solid bodies
that superimpose on your electron density.

have fun
diane

--
diane h peapus, phd