Re: [ccp4bb]: how to prepare images for submission?

>XV has the pesky feature that it only outputs as many pixels as displayed.

In the XV box "save" dialog box, there is a checkbox labeled "use normal size"
or something like that. If you check this box the full size will be saved,
even if it is too large to fit on screen fullsize (I was alerted to this feature
by another reader after making the same complaint on this BB)

> Any image croped by snapshot on the SGI work stations only has a resolution
> of 72 dpi, making it unrealistic for futher processing or direct submission.
> Trial-and-error photography of these images displayed on the screen using
> the best film-loaded or digital camaras suffers a lot from the
> over-saturation of local white regions and the white margines of imgview or
> imgworks, and terrible distorion of the image by the screen.

Definitely do not photograph the screen- if only 72 DPI is displayed,
the photograph cannot have any higher quality even if the nominal
resolution is higher.

The resolution the publisher cares about (or should), is the final resolution
in the journal. If you make a figure with 900 x 900 pixels, which will easily
fit on any serious SGI screen, and it is to be printed as one column width,
say 3 inches, then you have your 300 DPI resolution, even if it is displayed
as 12x12 inches and 72 DPI on screen.

If the publisher's art person doesn't understand this and insists on 300 DPI,
load into photoshop, do image:image_size, uncheck the "resample inage" checkbox
(or check "constrain image size" in older versions), and enter 300 for
resolution. Then save in a format such as TIFF which preserves the image
size/resolution. This has not changed the actual pixels in any way,
just defined the pixel size to be smaller.

Instead of requiring a particular resolution, it would be more sensible if the
publisher would first decide on the final size of the image, then multiply
that by 300 dpi or whatever, and tell us how many pixels they want.

Ed