[ccp4bb]: Redhat 7* users.

Dear fellow victims,

I don't know how many others of you received a similar email from redhat,
to the one I received below informing us that the compilers shipped with
redhat7.1 were broken - so what's news?!

anyhow I have updated my Redhat _7.0_ system to use the new compiler and
the news is .... better.

1) compiling the suite with the standard options (including optimisation
level O2) - the compiled code still does not work.

2) compiling the WHOLE suite (not just progs) with the compiler
optimisation level O0 - the suite does work!!! Well it compiles and
$CEAXM/unix/runnable/run-all works (apart from hbond for some strange
reason).

the way I did this was:

a) up2date my Linux redhat 7* system to the new compilers
b) download and unpack the ccp4 package
(b2 remember to check the ccp4 problems pages for fixes to some programs)
c) edit and source ccp4.setup as usual
d) run configure --with-your-options linux as usual (shared lib not tested)
e) edit $CCP4/config.status - change as below:

FOPTIM="-O" COPTIM="-O"

FOPTIM="-O0" COPTIM="-O0"

and re run the config.status script. (this in turn will re run configure
with the altered options)

6) make and install as usual.

I am assuming that the values the programs produce are sensible - I'm just
pleased they didn't crash...

some system info:
ccp4h 2:57pm /runnable>45% rpm -q gcc glibc
gcc-2.96-85
glibc-2.2-12

If anybody has any other/similar/more experiences please let me know. In
turn I will let Kevin know and maybe he can update his excellent summary
page?! :)

Alun
PS - I am aware that GCC (3.0) has been released (Thanks David S.) but i
just haven't had the time/courage to break my system and install/test it
yet.....
Alun Ashton,   awa@ccp4.ac.uk    Tel: +44 1925 603528
CCP4,          ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk   Fax: +44 1925 603825
                      http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/
Daresbury Lab,  Daresbury,  Warrington,  UK,  WA4 4AD