RE: [ccp4bb]: planarity restraint in refmac5

My experience in agreement with Garib's advice is that the
X-ray weights are probably set high in default. I occasionally
run a regularization and refine few cycles with x-ray weights
low (Garib suggested 0.1, or lower at low res ( < 3.0)).

In 4 cases I ran recently the Rfree dropped while closing
the gap to R from 5 to 2-3% (R got higher). Same holds for bonds,
I noticed that with standard weight for example CD-SD, SD-CG METS
have a tendency to depart a lot from their positions. I also
had modest data in a rather flexible protein, so take
what I say with a gain of salt. However, same was obseved on some
bonds in 1.5 A with Rf20.5 R 18.6. Judging from that,
the procedure improves both your crossvalidation/refinement
and the geometry. In the maps, the deviations we talk about
are nearly imperceptible, so there is no real reason to accept
such obviously unprobable deviations (except if you are possessed
by lowering standard Rfactors and ready to accept a rough rap sheet
from what-check)....

BR
Dr. Bernhard Rupp
Macromolecular Crystallography and Structural Genomics
LLNL-BBRP L448                               Phone (925) 423-3273
University of California                     Phax  (925) 424-3130
Livermore, CA 94551                          email    br@llnl.gov
URL                                 http://www-structure.llnl.gov
TB Structural Genomics Consortium  http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/TB
EU Mirror  http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp/web-mirrors/llnlrupp/