Re: [ccp4bb]: Reducing the size of a FreeR-set

The problem is that the random number generator that generates
the free R column isn't random.... You need to run freerflag
with the SEED keyword to achieve this (or at least, a better
approximation to it). The program freerflag occurs 3 times
in the uniqueify script. Add the SEED keyword to the 2nd instance
and re-run it.

"Works for me"

SEED isn't default because I seem to remember some people wanted
to be able to re-generate the same set of free R flags.

Martyn

> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to reduce the FreeR-set of one of my files from 10 % to 5 %.
>
> To be politically correct and keep half of this original set for further
> refinement my first idea was to generate a second FreeR-column with
> 'uniqueify -p 0.5'. I thought that this should select half of my original
> FreeR-reflections as double-flagged. A few conversion, grep and awk steps
> should give me the desired new FreeR-set, I thought.
>
> While I now have a script that is technically doing the steps described
> above my initial assumption of getting half of the reflections
> double-flagged turned out to be wrong. Of the original say 15000 FreeR
> data, approx. 14300 got the double flag (0.00       0.00) and only 700
> don't (0.00       1.00). I am obviously missing something
> distribution-related here I think.
>
> Does anybody know how to split a FreeR set? Is there a standard procedure
> in CCP4 that I have overlooked?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Wulf
>

> -----------------
> Dr. Wulf Blankenfeldt
>
> Structural Biology Group
> Biomolecular Sciences Building
> University of St. Andrews
>
> North Haugh
> St. Andrews, Fife
> KY16 9ST
> UK
>
> Tel:    +44 (0) 13 34 - 46 72 82
> Fax:    +44 (0) 13 34 - 46 25 95
> e-mail: wb6@st-andrews.ac.uk

*                  Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*      Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, ENGLAND     *
*      Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: m.d.winn@ccp4.ac.uk (personal)    *
*      Fax: +44 1925 603825    E-mail: ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk  (CCP4 problems)  *
*          URL: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/martyn/martyn.html                 *