[ccp4bb]: firewire and Powerbooks

BS"D

Dear All,

  Pursuant to my last message about the theoretical viability of using a
MacOS-X based PowerBook as the basis for large Firewire data storage
platforms, people have told me that they have successfuly used Titanium
laptops with MacOS-X to store data on several Firewire disks at
beamlines.
There are some very compact travel FireWire disks available (for a bit
of a price).

  The use of Firewire disks under MacOS-X is *much* easier compared to
Intel based laptops with Linux.  Harry Powell was quick to point out
that there are people who have compiled Mosflm under MacOS-X, thus
obviating the need to transfer the images to another machine for
processing at home.
Alternatively one could simply attach the disks to a faster G4 box at
home.

 In our case we already had an Intel laptop, so we had an interest in
making what we had work.

Harry
  Harry M. Greenblatt           | Phone: 972-8-934-3625
  Research Assistant            | FAX  :           4159
  Dept. of Structural Biology   |
  Weizmann Institute of Science |
  Rehovot, Israel 76100         | Email: harry.greenblatt@weizmann.ac.il