[ccp4bb]: Firewire disks and Synchrotron trips

Hi all,
FYI:
We went to APS for data collection and I tried out the laptop+50Gb firewire
disk
model for the data transfer. I should say it worked great.

The configuration is:
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 with DVD/CD-RW
50Gb Firewire disk (external)
W2K o/s

The BioCARS beam line at APS uses DHCP so we could plug the laptop in right
away and
on the last day copied (ftp) all the data from the disks on to the firewire
disk. We had 42Gb of data
and no hic-cups. Carried the disk and laptop back home and plugged it into
our network and ftp
to the unix disk.
I have not tried using Linux with the firewire and probably will not bother
as the laptop is used for teaching
etc. and dual booting will make it more confusing for users.

Just my 2cents to the community!!

Balaji

Balaji Bhyravbhatla
Research Assistant Prof.