Re: [ccp4bb]: Firewire disks and Synchrotron trips

"Bhyravbhatla, Balaji" wrote:

> The BioCARS beam line at APS uses DHCP so we could plug the laptop in right
> away and
> on the last day copied (ftp) all the data from the disks on to the firewire
> disk. We had 42Gb of data
> and no hic-cups. Carried the disk and laptop back home and plugged it into
> our network and ftp
> to the unix disk.

Hi,

We've recently setup a similar system on most of the crystallography
beamlines at the ALS.  And, our first impressions are that this seems to
be a really good way to take data home from the synchrotron.

I'd recommend that instead of ftping data between machines you use samba
instead.  This makes the whole process of backing up/restoring data even
simpler - you just 'drag and drop' folders on your windows machine (and
it's considerably more secure than ftp).

Cheers,

Gerry

---
Gerry McDermott