[ccp4bb]: RE: [o-info] Firewire disks and Synchrotron trips

The configuration of your laptop does not matter at all. You can take
anything which has an empty PCMCIA slot. I bought a firewire PCMCIA card
(Belkin) and an external BusLink 50Gb disk. These were purchased from CDW.
So the disk then connects to the laptop via the card and you will see it
on your computer as a separate drive (on mine it is the H drive). The card
works with all flavors of Windows.
Card was about $75.00 and the disk about $400.00 (I think), Laptop was
around $2500.00
I compared this to the other idea of taking a Snap server which was close
to $3000.00 for an equivalent disk only.

The BusLink disk came bundled with a PCI firewire card which I installed in
my
office W2K box and the PCMCIA card on the laptop. The disk usually sits
on the computer and the laptop is with the other lab people.

We did not have to compress the data as it was below the 50Gb
limit of the disk. So no compression. Also, our IS department has DLT drives
which we can back up over the network. So we can back them up again if need
be.

Balaji