Re: [ccp4bb]: Filters for DLS measurements

> Which filter size do you normally use to prepare protein solutions for
> dynamic light scattering measurements? Is it really necessary to take 0.02
> micrometer filters as recommended by ProteinSolutions and found in many
> papers, or are 0.2 or 0.1 micrometer filters also reliable?

I've found the smaller size filters (0.02) more difficult to use
reliably. They seem to break or leak easily under modest pressure.
In some cases, however, they seem to be necessary. I always try
a larger filter first. With some practice you can recover most
of the protein only slightly diluted and filter again with
a finer mesh if need be.

 Richard Gillilan
 MacCHESS
 Cornell University