Re: [ccp4bb]: anonymity

> case, someone would undoubtedly note that the posting was from Montana
> State, and then we'd be off on the sheep jokes.  But you're certainly not
> going to get any sheep jokes out of me today, for I am signing my name
> to this.

:)

As a victim of Gerard's language corrections in the past - I don't care :).
As a Welshman - English is my second language and I've never got the hang
of ' (every day I'm getting better and better....) - but sheep jokes -
that's going too far - NO! (Montana sounds nice though...)

> too easy.  The BB is a great resource, but I would recommend that it
> be placed last in a list of several options:
> 1) RTFM

including CCP4 manual, HTML docs and tutorials (in CCP4i etc),
newsletters, study weekend proceedings.....

> 2) ask your more experienced labmates
> 3) read the source code (and isn't it great that this is possible?)

:) may the force be with you

> 4) ask the BB

The procedure David has outlined is an excellent one. I would only make a
small addition - you can also email CCP4 staff at DL - but if its a
question on general usage etc we prefer these go to ccp4bb as they are of
a more general interest (the address for CCP4/dl staff is ccp4@dl.ac.uk).
People are also welcome and encouraged to visit CCP4 staff either here at
home in DL or when were at workshops or conferences (lists on web).

As many of us have probably not seen the only thing resembling ccp4bb
'rules' recently I have included them below. As far as abuse goes its
unfortunate, as someone has shown, how easy it would be to send such
messages anonymously - but I'm sure the 1900 people subscribed to ccp4bb
appreciate the near open forum and also have better things to do!

absolutely_not_dvd@hotmail.com I'm sure you understand that you will be
removed from ccp4bb.

Alun
Alun Ashton,   awa@ccp4.ac.uk    Tel: +44 1925 603528
CCP4,          ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk   Fax: +44 1925 603825
                      http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/
Daresbury Lab,  Daresbury,  Warrington,  UK,  WA4 4AD