Re: CNN Breaking News (SUMMARY OF: [ccp4bb]: Faculty Position inStructural Biology at MSU)

lothar esser wrote:
> Dear Dr. Kleywegt,
>
>    I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. I apologize if I misunderstood what
> you were trying to say.
>
>   Sincerely,
>
>       Lothar Esser

I'm afraid we Americans have been a bit hard on poor Gerard, in our righteous
outrage over his cowardly attack on our right to abuse the King's English.
Especially devastating was the train of (missspelled) amtrek-infected E-mails
(most of which did not go via CCP4BB, by the way).  He seems to have fallen
into a state of deep depression and sought refuge in the anonymity of
hotmail.com (accessed via HTML from 130.238.37.79).

What can we do to cheer him up? Don't send more mail via CCP4BB (I should be
unsubscribed for this off-topic message!), and definitely don't send him personal
email (It'll just look like more of the email bomber attack, especially if your
american and cant spell). I suggest we all make a few visits to his personal web
site, of which he is justly proud, and get his web counter to register a record
number of visits. This will show that we are interested in his thoughts and
creativity and not just his punctilious, perfectly spelled and syntaxed, bug-free
programs (that would be http://alpha2.bmc.uu.se/~gerard/manuals/gerard_manuals.html)

I've attached a mirror of his web counter to this email. If it is
still stuck in the low 27000's when you receive this, click on over to:
http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard/ and check out the DOMBO Journal or something.
Let's see what the awesome power of sheer numbers of the CCP4 subscribers (including
archive lurkers and anonymous hotmail subscribers) can do to brighten a displaced
Dutchman's day!

Anonymous

PS - Apologies for the attachment. If you're reading this in unix or vms mail
and have to save the attachment and open it in another application, don't bother.
Just cut-and-paste the above URL to check the counter at the source.

GIF image