Re: [ccp4bb]: protein oil out

hongmin LI wrote:

> hello,
>
> Sorry this question is not CCP4 related. I am working on a protein which is highly soluble. I can easily concentrate it to
> 60mg/ml. While the protein was not precipitated from most chemicals (PEG, (NH4)SO4, molonic acid, .....), instead, it is oil out.
> Does anybody have similar problem before? Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

Do you mean that these precipitants induce phase separation,
with droplets of protein-rich solution separating out from
the bulk phase? I don't know if this happens with pure proteins,
but in the presents of detergents or other additives there
can be phase separation, with hydrophobic proteins partitioning
into the additive-rich phase. Do you have detergents or
hydrophobic/amphiphillic additives present?

There is some report of these "coacervate droplets"(?)
serving as nucleation centers for crystals growing out
into the aqueous phase, so you might want to save a tray
and check periodically even if it looks hopeless now.

Ed