Re: [ccp4bb]: Backup devices

Dear Dave,

all DLT drives are manufactured by the same company (Quantum), all others
are OEM. DLT-4000 is most widely available at the synchrotrons you
mentioned. The material of DLT tapes is either M (maxtor??) or F (fuji),
see the code on the back side. There are rumors that DLT-8000 does not
like switching between these two types of tapes. I was told this by our
computing center and indeed my DLT-8000 runs better (especially read
performance) since I exclusively use F tapes. For synchrotron trips we use
exclusively DLT-4000 (M and F mixed) with no problems at all.

For the migration SGI to Linux it might be intersting to know that SGI
offers
the XFS filesystem for Linux as open source project. There are kernel RPMS
for Redhat. ( http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/ )

This is still a bit experimental, but I used a Linux notebook with an
external XFS formated SCSI disk recently to backup my data at the ESRF
(much better than FTP: "rsync": http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/index.html ).
At home I connected the disk to the SGI, rsync'ed to the main RAID, finish.

Manfred
P.S. To switch disks between IRIX and Linux I partitioned the disk under
IRIX and made the fs as advised by one of the developers: