Re: [ccp4bb]: CCP4 for linux

On Tuesday 18 Dec 2001 4:16 pm, Jason Thomas Maynes wrote:
> CCP4 has compiled for me with the gcc-3.01 suite of compilers, no
> problems observed, without the new thing from Kevin Cowtan.  I had
> problems with truncate (and others) when compiling with gcc-2.96 (bad
> problems like the program compiled and thought it was running properly
> but gave an incorrect output).  I should mention that this was with
> Mandrake 7.2/8.0/8.1 (all work), which I believe to be less buggy than
> Red Hat.

I would rather this claim were backed up by some refmac tests - preferably a
full run of my autotest suite. (You can download it and mmtzlib separately at
the bottom of my CCP4 page). My best guess at the moment is that at least
refmac5 will be broken in your build.

I've now built on 7 compilers on 4 distros, and both my experience and
Garib's is that refmac5 fails even with gcc 3.0.1 unless you add the
fno-automatic flag, although 3.0.1 is certainly much better than the 2.96
versions.

The only compilers I know of on which the official distribution works without
fixes are ecgs and gcc 2.95.*. (i.e. not on any version of Red Hat released
this millenium).

--
Department of Chemistry, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD