Re: [ccp4bb]: peak search : N dimensions -> 1-dimension

I'm not sure I understood your point.  Are you suggesting we work with
one-dimensional crystals in order to save CPU time?  I thought that now
we're living in The Future and computing power is near infinite, we could
ignore such details.

seriously,
since you are dealing with neighbors in 3-space, you need somehow to refer
to three coordinate indices.  you can use a one-dimensional array and do
these calculations explicitly, or you can use a 3-dimensional array and
let the compiler do the work for you.  personally, i'll put my trust in
the compiler.  i'm also not sure i would agree with your use of the number
"MUCH MORE". this number seems too large. i suspect the actual number is
considerably less than a factor of 2.

you mention a search for the global max.  this is different in that
neighbors do not need to be considered.

most of the discussion so far seems to be much ado about some small
details.  why doesn't someone get original and supply an algorithm for
doing this in reciprocal space?

"Now that I'm a cranky, constipated old man I can afford to say that
 the younger generation of scientists makes me sick to my stomach."
                                                  - C.M. Kornbluth
                        David J. Schuller
                        modern man in a post-modern world
                        MacCHESS, Cornell University