Re: [ccp4bb]: Refmac vs. cns

A historical perspective...
 Simulated annealling was quite the rage in the late 1980's.  At that
time, most electron density maps were fit by someone who had never fit an
electron density map (i.e. a student or post doc doing their very first
map).  The map-fitting programs had neither rotamer libraries, nor
fragments of main chain, nor any database automation that could be used as
a tool.  Thus, I believe many coordinates initially were fit rather badly
without regard to stereochemistry.  We needed a good refinement program
with a large radius of convergence to get atoms into the right position.
X-PLOR fulfilled that need.

Nowadays, with the tools provided by fitting programs and the knowledge of
our predecessors, fewer mistakes are made in the early interpretation
stages and those that are made are often discovered quickly.  Thus, there
is less need for simulated annealing to get out of false minimums.

Jim