RE: [ccp4bb]: Refmac vs. cns with NCS

I still think, that TNT (5F) is one of the most elegant and transparent
refinement packages if it only had a good implementation of the maximum
likelihood target (the one from Navraj Pannu works in principle but it
didn't write out sigmaa-weighted electron density maps; BUSTER/TNT is an
attractive alternative, but it is still in the development phase).
Especially for NCS, you can define in TNT 5F simultaneously constraints and
restraints in the refinement protocol, and it is the only program that
allows to use different B-factor levels for the individual protomers! We
probably have all noticed that multiple copies not necessarily are equally
well ordered.
During the course of refinement/model building I usually do once a
comparison between TNT, BUSTER, REFMAC, and CNS: TNT performs still very
well (but least-squares, only), BUSTER produces sometimes astonishing
electron density maps for questionable regions, REFMAC and CNS both perform
very well and are good for the daily refinement jobs. I agree with Bart,
that in CNS both the scripts themself and the scripting language became too
complicated to be modified by myself.

Regards,

Dirk.

Dirk Kostrewa
Paul Scherrer Institut   e-mail: dirk.kostrewa@psi.ch
Life Sciences             phone: +41-56-310-4722
OSRA/007                    fax: +41-56-310-4556
CH-5232 Villigen PSI        WWW: http://sb.web.psi.ch
Switzerland