Re: [ccp4bb]: Refmac vs. cns: nucleic acids?

As far as I can see, it is always wrong to restrain ring-puckers in
sugar rings. The whole point of model building & refinement is that
you don't know the conformation in advance. It's also not necessary,
even at low resolution, since the ring pucker is well-determined by
the lever action of the base at one end and the 5' substituent at the
other.

For some reason, these torsion restraints have crept in to a lot of
dictionaries distributed for Xplor, CNS, O & probably other programs.
It has not been a problem with Refmac I think, because the distributed
dictionaries have not included torsion angle restraints.

This also of course  applies to other sugar, single nucleotides etc
(eg ATP, NAD). Also the O dictionary for Pro.

Phil

(don't you just love these flame wars . . . )