Re: [ccp4bb]: A question...

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 08:17:20PM +0100, F.Xavier Gomis-Rüth wrote:
> ..... for the old hardcore crystallographers:
> What are P222, P2(1)2(1)2(1),P2(1)2(1)2, etc. to themselves ?
> Iso....   what ?

     Dear Xavier,

     The answer is probably that they are 'isomorphic' to each other, in the
     sense that their elements can be labelled in such a way that they then
     have identical multiplication tables. A stronger relationship is that
     they have the same underlying point group, and differ only by their
     assignments of non-primitive translations to these point-group elements,
     in such a way as to obey the Frobenius congruences and thus still give
     rise to a group.

     I hope this is at least part of the answer you were looking for.

     With best wishes,

          Gerard.

     * Gerard Bricogne                     gb10@GlobalPhasing.com  *
     * Global Phasing Ltd.                                         *
     * Sheraton House, Castle Park         Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033 *
     * Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK               Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889 *