Re: [ccp4bb]: problem to find the MR solution

Dear David and others,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

My protein does contain a large domain and a samll domain (about 20kDa).  There are relative movements between the two domains in different complexes.  I had tried using either the whole protein or the large domain as the searching model.  Also, I tried to use the whole model, the polyalanine, or the only C-alpha as the starting model.  But neither helped.

In terms of the space group, I spent a lot of times to check other possibilities.  Auto index from Denzo clearly indicated it belongs to I-centered tetragonal.  But, of course, it could also be indexed in orthorhombic and monoclinic.  Though the index can be done in space group I422, I222, F222, and C2, the scaling gave much higher R-merge factors (>40% for both the overall R-factor and the individual linear R-factors), presumably due to the lack of two-fold axes along b- and c-directions.

For space group I4(1), the systematic absence condition requires that for reflection 00L: L=4N only.  In my data, I have more than ten 00L reflections (over 10 I/sigma) that do not meet this condition.  So, it seems clear that the space group should be I4, not I4(1).

With AMore, I played around a lot of parameters, such as the box and sphere sizes, resolution limit, etc.  However, the correlation coefficients of the solutions (around 0.3-0.35) appeared too low to me.  I also did rigidbody refinement for the top peaks from the translation searches, the cor. coef. increased to about 48%, but the r-factor only decreased to about 53%.  There was no peak that was superior than others.

The BEAST program may be a good shot to try.  I will try that when the next release of CCP4 is coming.

Thank you all for your help.

Jianping