Re: [ccp4bb]: CCP4 and other crystallographic programs on Mac OS X

> Also, despite being able to compile CNS 1.1 with g77, we've been having
> major difficulties using the Absoft fortran compiler, which I would
> really like to do in order to take advantage of our two processors.  Has
> anyone had success with this?

I haven't done any experiments with CNS and various Linux
compilers. But I did some tests with CCP4 and SHARP using the
following compilers:

  - gcc/g77 2.95.* and 3.0.*: work fine, maybe not the fastest
    executables

  - Lahey F95 6.0 and 6.1: again, no problems here. No speed gain
    versus the GNU compilers. But I like the diagnostics (probably not
    of much interest to end users, but important to developers).

  - Portland Group pgf77/pgf90/pgcc 3.2 and 3.3: seems to handle
    'difficult' code the best and still gives correct results. Faster
    code than the two above.

  - Intel Compiler ifc/icc 5.0 and 6.0beta: fairly stable by now. VERY
    fast code.

  - on Alpha/Linux the Compaq Linux version of their compilers: very
    fast code and the usual Compaq/Digital quality.

I played with Absoft and NAGware evaluation cmopilers and gave up on
both: too much 'Windows/Microsoft'-ish style and options. Couldn't
compile CCP4 and/or SHARP (but didn't try too hard since the others
work fine).

Clemens

* Clemens Vonrhein, Ph.D.          vonrhein@GlobalPhasing.com
*
*  Global Phasing Ltd.
*  Sheraton House, Castle Park     Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033
*  Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK           Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889