RE: [ccp4bb]: NFS Performance

Hi

>> check out the linux NFS kernel patches at
>> http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/2.4.18/
>
>Also note that there may be relevant patches on the Irix end:
>
>http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/linux-kernel/archive/2002-Week-14/0765.html

This problem may be specific to SGI.

I set up NFS using default values - and avoid patching Linux kernels if I
can help it.

I've used Bonnie to check NFS performance between Linux and Compaq Alpha
machines.
 RH7.2 with autofs and  TruUnix 5.1a automount  all with default parameters.

 Bonnie reports sequential (character putc()) o/p rates of:

Local file

Compaq: 23 MB/s
Linux: 17.9 MB/s

NFS

Linux to Linux: 10.2 MB/s
Compaq to Linux (scratch file):  9.9 MB/s
Linux to Compaq (scratch file):  4.1 MB/s

With 2GB scratch file but 1GB of RAM I can't avoid the effects of caching.

Some of the numbers don't make much sense  - on my Alpha local block io
gives a worse rate than char io while on a PC it is twice as fast.

Peter
--
Peter Brick,
Blackett Laboratory, Department of Biological Sciences,