Re: [ccp4bb]: A simple question of resolution

"Manfred S. Weiss" wrote:

> Dear Ed,
>
> there is indeed a difference between a 'weak' reflection and a
> 'non-existent' or rather 'non-observed' reflection. Check out the
> old paper by Hirshfeld and Rabinovich (1973). Acta Cryst. A29, 517-25.
>
> In a resolution shell where you have a average I/sigma(I) of let's
> say 2.0 you have about 50% of all reflections with I/sigma > 2, about
> 20% with I/sigma > 3 and so on, so it is reasonable to assume
> that the information that a reflection in this shell is weak or
> very weak is actually meaningful. Leaving it out from whatever
> you do with your data set will at least lead to wrong B-factors.
>
> A shell which contains only weak reflection is probably beyond the
> diffraction limit.

And if truncate refuses to process the data because <I> is negative
in a shell, we've gotten well into that region
(I agree with all of this. The distinction between "a zero F/sigF
cutoff" and "no cutoff" is semantic since F is always positive.)

> My feeling is that the 'optical resolution' is probably the parameter
> which should be quoted, because it is least effected by what you
> actually define as the diffraction limit of your crystal.

Yes, I realized after posting that if you use "effective resolution"
based on number of reflections above a reasonable(?) cutoff like 0.5 or
1 sigma, resolution shells with no useful data will by pure statistics
contribute to increasing the resolution. If you use a cutoff of 2 sigma
or higher, the result will be overly "sobering" and not at all realistic,
since we would never use such a severe cutoff in refinement nowadays.

Ed